Bean Seeds, Fordhook 242 Bush Lima
|Fordhook 242 Lima Bean is considered one of the best large lima beans available which has stood the test of time. Plants are bush type and produce heavy yields of lima bean pods that contain 3-5 richly flavored, light-green seeds per pod.|
The pods are very easy to shell. Fordhook Lima beans are perfect for cooking, freezing or canning. Seeds can also be dried. They are heat and drought tolerant.
- AAS Winner 1945
- Botanical Name - Phaseolus lunatus
- Treated - NO
- Bean Type - Shell
- Pod Color - Straight, Round, Smooth, light green
- Seed Color - White or green
- Germination Time - 8-14 Days
- Days to Maturity - 75 Days
- Maximum Height - 20-24 inches
- Spread - Bush
- Fruit / Blossom Size - 6-7 in Pods
- Disease Resistant - Resistance to Common Mosaic Virus, Pod Mottle & Curly Top Virus
- Breed - Self Pollinated
- Germination Rate – 90%
- Lifecycle – Annual
- Watering – 1 inch per week
- Sow Method – Direct Sow or Transplant
- Sow Depth 1 inch
- Plant Spacing 2 inch
Bright yellow or brown spots on the leaves or water-soaked spots on the pods are signs of bacterial bean blight. Bacterial blight is best controlled by planting disease-free seed; avoiding contact with wet bean plants; and removing all bean debris from the garden.
CLASSIFICATION: OPEN POLLINATED, HEIRLOOM
Open pollinated means this plants flowers are fertilized by bees, moths, birds, bats, and even the wind or rain. The seed that forms produces the same plant the following year.
All heirlooms are open pollinated, but not all open pollinated plants are heirlooms. Only a small fraction of the plant world is considered heirloom.
This variety has a history of being passed down within communities and families as early as the 1700's, similar to the generational sharing of items like jewelry or furniture.
- Cabbage Family
- Marigold deters Mexican bean beetles
- Nasturtium and rosemary deter bean beetles
- Summer savory deters bean beetles, improves growth and flavor
- Garlic, onion and shallot stunt the growth of beans